Rare Disease Scholarships
Living with a condition brings about difficulties, such, as frequent visits to healthcare professionals demanding treatment routines stays in hospitals and increased vulnerability. Despite advancements in diagnosing and treating these conditions that improve both quality of life and life expectancy individuals with diseases still face obstacles when it comes to achieving milestones. This is where the #RAREis Scholarship Fund, established by the EveryLife Foundation for Rare Diseases plays a role. Its mission is to support adults living with diseases in their pursuit of education.
In 2023 thanks to the support from Horizon Therapeutics, The EveryLife Foundation, for Rare Diseases will grant 87 one time scholarships valued at $5,000 each to deserving recipients. This initiative aims to make a difference in the lives of those who face the challenges presented by rare diseases by helping them on their educational journeys.
How are recipients, for scholarships chosen?
The process of selecting scholarship recipients involves an evaluation that considers criteria:
1.Essay Response: The quality and substance of the essay response are taken into consideration particularly regarding the 2023 essay topic. This topic explores how the applicants educational and career goals can contribute to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility within the disease community. Applicants are given a limit of 2,000 characters, which's 350 400 words.
2. Leadership and Community Involvement: We assess the applicants participation in school and community activities with emphasis on their leadership roles and contributions.
3. Work Experience: Any relevant work experience is considered to gain insight into the applicants exposure and skills.
4. Academic Performance: We review achievements to assess the applicants dedication to their pursuits.
5. Financial Need: The selection process also takes need into account when awarding scholarships.
It is important to highlight that Scholarship America administers the #RAREis Scholarship Fund on behalf of The EveryLife Foundation for Rare Diseases. They independently manage all aspects of the application process, selection procedure and fund distribution without any input, from Horizon Therapeutics.
Scholarships are granted without any kind of bias guaranteeing opportunities irrespective of ones race, ethnicity, beliefs, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical ability or country of origin.
Who is eligible to apply for the #RAREis Scholarship?
Please note that the application period, for the 2023 #RAREis Scholarship has ended. The application for 2024 will be available in Spring 2024.
- Eligibility: Individuals who are 17 years old or older living in the United States and have received a diagnosis of any disease from a physician regardless of their current treatment status can apply. Applicants will need to provide a Diagnosis Verification Form completed by their physician to confirm their diagnosis. Applicants who have not been diagnosed can also apply by submitting a Diagnosis Verification Form signed by a physician. Additionally there is a Diagnosis Verification Form
- Educational Pursuit: Applicants should have plans to enroll either time or part time in undergraduate or graduate programs at accredited two or four year colleges, universities or vocational technical/trade schools for the Fall 2023 semester. There is no minimum credit hour requirement for part time enrollment. It's important to note that students are not limited to pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees.
- Defining Rare Diseases: A disease is considered rare when it affects than 200,000 individuals, in the United States.
If you are unsure whether your condition falls under the category of rare you can consult sources such, as The National Institute of Health the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center and/or NORD (the National Organization for Rare Disorders) for guidance.
In case you meet these qualifying criteria. Are interested, in applying please keep an eye out for the launch of the scholarship application for 2024 in the spring of that year.
Scholarship Quantity and Amount
- For each selected recipient, a scholarship of $5,000 will be awarded.
- Historically, the program has typically granted up to 35 scholarships annually.
- In the upcoming Fall 2023 term, due to generous additional funding from Horizon Therapeutics, a total of 87 scholarships will be available.
- It's worth noting that these awards are not renewable, but students who continue to meet eligibility criteria may apply for the scholarship each year.
Course Options with the Scholarship
- The scholarship offers flexibility regarding the types of classes you can take. You may apply the scholarship to courses of any subject.
- To be eligible for the 2023 scholarship application cycle, you should have plans to enroll in either full-time or part-time undergraduate or graduate programs at accredited two- or four-year colleges, universities, or vocational-technical trade schools for the Fall 2023 semester.
- It's important to note that the scholarship also covers non-traditional classes, including subjects like photography or art, as long as these courses are accredited.
- For clarification, even a single class is considered part-time status within the context of this scholarship.
- For the 2023 #RAREis Scholarship, all applicants, whether they received the scholarship or not, were notified of their status on May 30, 2023.
- If you applied and did not receive a notification, please don't hesitate to get in touch with Scholarship America via email at email@example.com.
- Recipients of the scholarship will receive private communication to facilitate the acceptance of their award through Scholarship America. Additionally, they will be contacted by Stephanie Riordan, the Associate Director of Patient Programs. This contact aims to arrange a congratulatory meeting, provide a platform to share their unique rare disease journey, and introduce them to advocacy opportunities.
- It's important to mention that participation in these meetings and potential publicity opportunities, whether through Horizon Therapeutics or EveryLife's various communication channels, is entirely optional and based on the recipient's interest.
Here are the important dates to keep in mind for the #RAREis Scholarship
- The application, for the 2023 #RAREis Scholarship is no longer accepting submissions. However if you're interested the application for the 2024 scholarship will open in Spring 2024.
- The application period for the 2023 #RAREis Scholarship Fund started on March 8th. Ended on April 13th, 2023 at 2;00 PM Eastern Time.
- Notifications regarding scholarship status were sent out to both recipients and non recipients on May 30 2023.
- If you applied but didn't receive a notification don't hesitate to reach out to the Scholarship America #RAREis Scholarship fund line at (507)931 0799 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, for assistance.
- The scholarship funds will be directly disbursed to recipients schools in August of year (2023).
- If you have general inquiries about the #RAREis Scholarship, you can reach out to Stephanie Riordan, the Associate Director of Patient Programs, at email@example.com.
- For questions or concerns related to scholarship applications and funds, please feel free to contact the Scholarship America #RAREis Scholarship fund team through either of the following:
- Phone: 507-931-0799
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information go to the Rare Disease Scholarships website